;;beauty;;style;;travel;;food;;;fitness;;recipes;;;college;;romance;;;books;;life;;;success;;glamour;;opinions;;fabulous;;;reviews;;20somethings;;;passion;;etc;;

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Saving Money On Textbooks

Back to school time! Yayyyy! Everyone knows that one of the worst things about college is the cost of buying textbooks!! Over the past 3 years I have developed a textbook strategy that now saves me a lot of money so that I can purchase more important things {such as shoes, jewelry, make-up :)}.




  • Rule #1: Skip the bookstore. 99.9% of the time you will find the book cheaper online. Ebay, Half.com, and Amazon are all great.

  • Rule #2: Buy older editions. Usually the changes between editions are extremely minor. Not to mention it is very likely that your professor used an older edition when he/she made the exams. This will save you a ton of cash!!

  • Rule #3: Consider renting. Personally, I don't usually rent my textbooks because I will inevitably spill coffee on them, lose them, forget the deadline to return them, etc. Also, I'm a highlighter freak and some renters don't allow you to highlight. HOWEVER, I know a lot of people that are more responsible and less clumsy than I am and they love renting.

  • Rule #4: International Editions are basically the exact same book at a much cheaper price. The past few international edition books that I purchased simply had different cover art. You will come across international editions a lot on sites like eBay and they are def. the way to go.

  • Rule #5: Wait until after you go to your first class before you buy your books. Often the syllabus will state that a book is required but when you go to class the professor will tell you that you don't actually need it. Just wait.

  • Rule #6: Re-sell! But NOT to the bookstore. The bookstore rips you off big-time when it comes to selling back your books. Instead, open an eBay account and sell your books that way. True, it is more of a hassle but it's so worth it. Sometimes I have gotten more from selling my books than I originally paid. (This is another reason that I'm not really into renting.)

  • Rule #7: Buy something fabulous with all the money you've saved!!



No comments:

Post a Comment